Tuesday, January 13, 2009

12 of 12


OK, so this is a slight departure from my normal posts, but it's fun and it's my blog, so I can do whatever I want, right? My friend, Chad started a project called 12 of 12. The premise is to take 12 pictures of the 12th day of every month. I just recently got back into photography, so it seems like a good time to restart my participation in this global event. To see what other people did on the 12th of January, go here: 12 of 12: January 2009

7:40 am- Yay! Dead battery...what a great way to start the day. I guess the cold Tennessee winters are too much for my aging battery. Pay day is Thursday, until then I'll enjoy carpooling and jumper cables.


8:30 am- The weather is always different at work than it is at home. When I got to work, it dawned on me that Tennesse in winter can look a lot like Narnia...white witch Narnia that is.


8:45 am- Breakfast of Champions!


9:20 am- I noticed that my finch feeder was empty, so I went out to fill it. We've had a ton of pine siskins this year, and they are hogging the feeder. There is a goldfinch on the branch, patiently waiting his turn.


10:00 am- I made a calendar over the week end and needed to bring it in to scan the pictures so that I can make some more! October is my favorite.


11:15 am- I've been learning to work with the raptors, so I decided to take the Kestrel out for some bonding time. She really likes hanging out by the pond to spy on songbirds near the feeder.


11:25 am- On my walk with the Kestrel, I noticed that the witch hazel is blooming. It's one of the only plants in east Tennessee to bloom in the winter.


11:30 am- I also got this cool picture of birds on the big feeder...yep you guessed it- more pine siskins. They are small but they are bullies. The chickadees and finches have been forced over to a hopper feeder across the patio.


12:25 pm- Ah...Archer Farms. This mushroom gnocchi was yummy- even if it was from a box.


4:45 pm- Once I got home, after needing someone at work to jump start my car (embarassing), I decided I needed a hot bath and a guilty pleasure. Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series is my latest obsession. I didn't think I'd get into a vampire book, after all- I didn't like Interview with a Vampire at all. But I love these books, probably because the main character is a huge klutz...I can relate.


7:45 pm- A rare moment of peace between the 2 most rambunctious cats in the world. The peace treaty was probably brokered by the catnip toy seen on the floor between them.


8:00 pm- Wayne is settling in for a long evening of bad reality TV...The Bachelor and Momma's Boys. Mondays are really slim pickin's since MNF ended, so we've resorted to starting our week with a healthy helping of reality fodder.


That was my day on the 12th. Perhaps not the most interesting day of the year, but how many people get to put a picture of a falcon on their page?

3 comments:

JCB said...

i am totally jealous of you and the raptor! How amazingly cool is it to walk around with one?

Dogeared said...

I really like the winter wonderland and the falcon photos!

Welcome to 12 of 12! Hope you enjoyed it and keep doing it :-)

Helen (Dogeared, 12er)

Hibe said...

That's so cool that you work with raptors. One fellow I work with bands them. I love to photograph them when I can. We have a number of red tail and red shoulder hawks at work. We had a osprey take up residence late last summer. We see the occasional peregrine (oo fast to get my camera on though). Once back in October I saw a Bald Eagle for a couple of days. He was perched overlooking a fish hatchery. I was hoping he would stick around, but I think he kept moving south.