Wednesday, May 13, 2009

12 of 12- May



Yep, after a quick hiatus in April...I'm back on track for 12 of 12. The sad thing is that I actually took all my pictures in April, I just never had a chance to upload them and write pithy captions. But, I did have a great day on May 12, and that inspired me to get back in the proverbial saddle. Enjoy!
NOTE FROM NATURE GIRL: Holy Cow! I just checked Chad's original 12 of 12 website and I realized that I've been doing my captions incorrectly for years! I am now striving to remedy my blatant oversight. I've been forgetting the location part...

8:22 am- My Office
My fashionable footwear. I'm really into silly patterns on socks these days and these are no exception. Since I was scheduled to do an edible bugs presentation I felt that ladybugs were appropriate.


9:18 am- Ijams Nature Center
While I was waiting for a school group to arrive, I snapped a quick shot of these beardtongue flowers. Weird name- pretty flower.


10:45 am- Ijams Nature Center Pond
A preschool class from Garden Montessori. We were looking for tadpoles, newts, and frogs.


11:30 am- Animal Care Room
I snapped this shot of our little one-eyed screech owl before I put her back in her cage. I used her for the program with Garden Montessori. In case you're wondering, she got hit by a car and her eye wouldn't heal, so the vets had to remove it. She's, by far, the sweetest bird we have at the center.


11:55 am- Ijams Flower Bed
The kids found these monarch caterpillars while we were on our hike. I wanted to snap some photos of them because they'll probably be butterflies by the time June 12th rolls around. These guys are devouring the milkweed in front of the Nature Center.


1:20 pm- Walgreen's
I took a quick trip to Walgreen's to get some party mix for the edible bugs program...you'll see why in later pics :)


3:05- Ijams Multipurpose Room
We celebrated Sarah's birthday at our weekly staff meeting. Most photos that I have of her involve a double thumbs-up. In case you can't read her shirt, it's a mustachioed beaver saying to a wide-eyed starlet beaver, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a dam."


4:40 pm- My Office
In preparation for the edible bugs program, I whipped up some cheddar cheese mealworm chex mix!


5:15 pm- Ijams Multipurpose Room
Setting up for the presentation. I like to start my presentation with a quick Disney reference. Timon and Pumbaa are prominently featured in this particular slide show.


6:17 pm- Ijams Multipurpose Room
Folks partaking of mealworm chex mix and chocolate covered ants. Mmmm...tastes like chicken! Well not really, the mealworms actually taste more like popcorn.


7:45 pm- Calhoun's on the River
A celebratory dinner at Calhoun's. Emily and Than's field crew came down for the evening to attend the presentation. Before heading up to LaFollette to chase warblers, we grabbed dinner and drinks at Calhoun's.


9:05 pm- Calhoun's on the River
Jess and Phil proudly sporting their "I Ate a Bug" Club stickers :)


Bonus 13th photo: OK, so this one was stolen from the local paper's website this morning (5-13-09). There was a reporter and a photographer from the Knox News-Sentinel at the presentaiton and they wrote an article for today's paper. The article was pretty cute, complete with an adorable photo of a child with a mealworm on his tongue! To check out the complete article, click here.


So that was my day, hope you enjoyed a brief look into my life! For a look at what other folks did on the 12th or to learn more about the project, go here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos, especially the nature shots! I love the two of the owl and the caterpillar. -Gavin

khowaga said...

Is it wrong that I'm a little weirded out by the concept of eating bugs? (Especially since I know how many bugs I probably eat anyway, without knowing about it...)

Nice 12!

The Bride said...

It's not wrong to be weirded out by eating bugs...it's totally normal. During our programs, we often offer snacks, such as chips/dip, cookies, and trail mix, to our visitors. For fun, I looked up some of the ingredients in the snacks to let people know how many bugs they may have already eaten that evening. I think it helped "grease the wheels" to more more bug eating!

Scooter said...

What a great day you had! I want to look for tadpoles and newts!!!! I am fascinated by amphibians.

I don't think I have ever seen a monarch caterpillar. It's gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing your day with us. :)

The Bride said...

The monarch caterpillar truly is beautiful. Because the chemicals in the milkweed plant make it slightly toxic and distasteful to most birds, they are free to be as bright and bold as they want to be without fear of being eaten.

Lipp said...

I love the Monarch & Owl as well.

Dogeared said...

Yeah, I'm not sure you'd get me eating bugs either ;-) Though the presentation looks impressive!

Sorry I'm so behind on commenting - been a very busy time with lots of travel! Even my 12 of 12 was only up on the 15th!